This is a very popular & easy dish in my home. My mother likes it a little soupy whereas I like the jelly version. So here I am going to post the recipe which my mother follows; but I have modified to make the chatni thick jelly like.
1 tblsp panch phoron
1/2 kg sugar
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/2 kg tomatoes
Kismis & kaju to garnish
1. Wash and cut the tomatoes into quarters.
2. Heat up oil in a pan, add panch phoron.
3. When it starts to crackle add tomatoes and cook.
4. Add sugar along with a little salt and a little water if required.
5. Stir till it is dark red in colour and thick.
6. Sprinkle the kismis & kaju over the chutney.