Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Jhinge Aloo Jhol (Ridge Gourd-Potato Plain Curry)

This is a very common curry in our home. This is simple yet tasty. As I am staying alone, so sometime when I am not in a mood of spicy food, I prepare this. This plain curry is good for the diet chart as well :)






Ingredients:

Ridge Gourd - 2
Potato - 2 (medium)
Onion - 1 (medium)
Nigella seeds - 1/2 tea spoon
Oil
Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tea spoon
Salt
Green Chilly - 2


Method:

1. Wash & peel off the outer hard skin of ridge gourd. Cut into small square shaped pieces. Cut the potatoes into medium pieces after removing the skin.

2. Heat oil in a non-stick pan; add nigella seeds; When it strats o splutter, add sliced onion & chilly.

3. When onion becomes little soft, add the potato pieces & saute for 2-3mins. Now add ridge gourd pieces. Add two chilies - cut into two parts. Add turmeric powder, salt to taste & saute.

4. Lower the heat & cover the pan. Enough water will come out of the gourd pieces, which is sufficient to prepare the dish.

5. When you get desired amount of curry, turn off the heat.




12 comments:

  1. when should we add the potato??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add the potatoes before adding ridge gourd. i skipped that in my post, by mistake. thanks for asking the question. Also thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  2. While I was looking for easy recipe with jhinge,I have found your blog and recipe. I prepare the jinge dish with your recipe and it came out so simple and delicious. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear,

      Thanks a lot. Your feedback is really appreciated.

      I am sorry for late reply. I am back to my blog after a long time with a new post. Please keep in touch though my blog and keep sending your feedback.

      Thanks
      Nandita

      Delete
  3. Am a student and learning to cook I tried your dish and it was YUMMY !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sutapa.enjoy yiur Student life.

      I am sorry for late reply. I am back to my blog after a long time with a new post. Please keep in touch though my blog and keep sending your feedback.

      Thanks
      Nandita

      Delete
  4. Do I need to boil the potatoes or add them raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Please use raw potatoes.after adding ridge gourd, once you put salt, water will come out of ridge gourd, which will eventually help to cook the potatoes.

      I am sorry for late reply. I am back to my blog after a long time with a new post. Please keep in touch though my blog and keep sending your feedback

      Thanks
      Nandita.

      Delete
  5. Awesome ... Simple .... Quick and yummyyyy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simplicity and taste. What a great recipe. 👍

    ReplyDelete