When my Chhoto Mashi came to our home last summer, she prepared this dessert with bottle gourd & boroi. From that time it became my favorite.While back in bangalore, I tried the same with Carrot & the taste was good.
Boroi is a tropical fruit tree species, belonging to the family Rhamnaceae. It is most commonly found in the tropical and sub-tropical regions. Originally native to India it is now widely naturalized in tropical region from Africa to Afghanistan and China, and also through Malaysia and into Australia and in some Pacific regions. It can form dense stands and become invasive in some areas, including Fiji and Australia and has become a serious environmental weed in Northern Australia. Courtesy to fruitipedia.
Hope you like it & give me your feedback. Here is the recipe.
Gajor\Carrot - grated, 2cups
Sukno Kul\Boroi - 7\8, depends on how much tangy you want
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 2teaspoon
1. In a pressure cooker, take the grated carrots & dry boroi, add 5cups of water. Keep the flame high. Cover & wait for 4-5 whistles. Turn off the heat & let it set for 10-15 mins.
2. Heat up oil in a pan, mix in panch phoron.
3. When it starts to crackle add the whole carrot mixture froom cooker and cook.
4. Add sugar along with a little salt.
5. Stir till it is dark orange in colour and thick.
6. Sprinkle the kismis & kaju over the chutney.
7. In this same way, instead of using carrot, you can use Lau\Bottle gourd.