Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Banana Flower stir fry with Coconut (Mochar ghonto Narkel diye)

The holidays are over & I am back with different recipes which I tasted during my vacation. My ma, boro-mashi have prepared many tasty Bengali foods for me & now I am trying them one by one. So here is a recipe which I found in Chakdah, at Boro-mashi's home, Mochar Ghonto Narkel diye (Banana fritters stir fry with Coconut). I loved that & asked her recipe. So here it is!







Ingredients:

Banana Flower 1
Cumin seeds ½ tsp
Bay leaves 2
Cumin 1 tsp
Ginger paste 1 tsp
Turmeric powder 1/2 tea spoon
Garam Masala powder 1 tsp
Grated coconut 1/2 cup
Oil 3 tbs
Salt and sugar to taste

Method:

1. Once the florets have been cleaned, chop them into small size. Boil this with little salt till almost cooked. Remove water and keep florets aside.

2. Heat oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds and bay leaves, and once the seeds start to splutter, add the boiled mocha. Add turmeric powder and salt, cover the pan with a lid, and allow it to cook for 10 minutes on a slow flame; gently cook it by tossing and turning it several times.

3. Add ginger & cumin paste and mix them well. Also add a spoon of sugar to taste.

4. Add the grated coconut when all the ingredients are soft and the water has dried out.

5. Finally, add the garam masala mix & this is ready to serve.


Tips:
When peeling the mocha, apply some cooking oil/mustard oil to your hands to prevent the sticky juices of the mocha from staining your hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment