The festive season was never like this for me. For the first time, I am so busy, that I am not able to visit my own blog. This year, I started my Laxmi puja, all alone in the new city. But I really enjoyed doing all the works which my Ma does at home, during the Pujas. Now I am busy with packing because I am going home after so many months. So here is the recipe of my favorite old dish & may be I will start posting the new ones soon.
Rice - 100gm \ 1 large cup, uncooked
Red Lentil or Musur daal- 50gm, no need to fry
Chicken - 1 cup, chopped or shreded
onion - 1, small, chopped
Garlic - 4-4 cloves, halved
Ginger paste - 1tbsp
chilly - 1, halved
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1tsp
Fenugreek sedds - 1tsp
Onion seeds - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/3 tsp
Oil to fry
Salt to taste
Water (do not worry about quantity)
1. Wash & soak, both rice & daal, together or separately.
2. Heat oil in a cooker. Add onion, cumin & fenugreek seeds. When the seeds start to splatter, add garlic, followed by onions. Saute for 1-2min. Add the ginger pastes. Add chicken pieces. Cook for 3mins.
3. Add rice & daal. Add salt, sugar, chilly flakes & turmeric powder. Saute for 5 more mins.
4. Add 4cups of water. Cover and cook on high flame & wait for the cooker to whistle 4-5 times. Turn off the heat & let it set for 10-15 mins.
5. You can adjust the liquid amount of the khichdi according to your taste. Transfer to a serving plate & enjoy.